Tuesday, August 7, 2012

N's 8th Birthday POKEMON Cake!

My son, N, LOVES Pokemon.  When he asked for a Pokemon cake I first got excited because I wanted to attempt to mold all the little Pokemon in gum paste.  Then, after realizing what I might be getting myself into, and also because I was to do another cake that same week that would be a real challenge, I decided to give in and buy the Pokemon to go on top of the cake.  When I told him I was expecting him to be sad, but instead he was ecstatic!!  He couldn't wait to get to play with all the little Pokemon figures that I bought for his cake!!

With several weeks to go before this cake would be done, I started on the lettering.  I'm finding that I really like this process.  It's calming to me.  I printed out the word, Pokemon, from their website and used it as a gauge to make my letters.  I did not make a template this time.  Instead I just looked at the letters and drew it with my exacto knife.  This was the result.




Next, I had to figure out how to make a Poke-ball with the actual cake.  I tried making the fondant one big sheet and discovered rather quickly that the technique I was trying was NOT something I could accomplish.  Instead I cut the cake into two hemispheres and proceeded to cover each cake separately.  I then pushed them back together and sealed them with the black.




I called it a night after this step since the dilemma of how to cover it had taken me a while to figure out.  The next day I continued working on the cake.  I made rocks and grass out of gumpaste.  I attached the lettering and placed the rocks and grass.  Then my son helped me to place the figures.  After asking some cake friends what they thought, I tried to make it seem like they were fighting a Poke-battle by putting the details around the figures on the top of the cake.  I'm not sure that comes across to anyone who bothers to look at the cake, but I knew what it was. :-)






No comments:

Post a Comment